Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is proof that vegetables DON'T make bad desserts. You wont be able to tell the difference between this pie and an apple pie. That's because when the zucchini is fried in lemon juice, it tenderizes and gets tart just like apples.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 9 inches prepared double crust pie crusts
- Peel zucchini.
- Cut into quarters lengthwise, then remove seeds and cut crosswise (as you would cut apples for apple pie) Gather 3 cups of zucchini and toss with lemon juice and salt, place in frying pan and cook until tender crisp.
- In a separate bowl, mix together cinnamon, sugar, and flour.
- Add cooked zucchini to sugar mixture and mix well (it will be runny) Pour into prepared crust and top with second crust.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Make slits to release steam.
- Dot crust top with butter.
- Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes then lower temperature to 350°F for another 40 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy!
family loved it had no clue it was zucchini
Yummy and easy! My finicky husband would not believe me when I told him it was zucchini not apple pie. I had to show him the actual recipe. *The zucchini was a more mild flavor than say a Granny Smith apple. I made a deep dish version using five cups of zucchini rather than the three cup version. Also being a huge cinnamon fan I used an additional tsp. of cinnamon.
I made this pie with the zuchinni from my garden. It is excellent! 5 stars for sure ,I loved it as did my family.Thanks for posting this winner , it will be made several times yet this year. Glittergirl