I got this recipe from another Zaarite who just didn't have the time to post it (and that time is NOW!). With Sherry's kind permission, here is a recipe that she says "it's fun to watch them eat it and THEN tell them it's not apples!".
- Peel zucchini and slice in half lengthwise.
- Scrape out soft center and seeds, and slice thin.
- Combine lemon juice and water.
- Put sliced zucchini and lemon water into a deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid, and simmer, stirring often until zucchini is limp& opaque.
- Volume will reduce by about half.
- Drain but do not rinse.
- Leave over sink to continue to drain.
- Fit pie crust to pan.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg& salt.
- Add zucchini slices to bowl and toss to mix well.
- Put zucchini mixture in pie shell.
- For crumb topping, mix all dry ingredients.
- Cut in margarine.
- Put all crumbs on top of pie.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
This is a great recipe. You can omit the pie crust and make apple crisp instead. I'll make again.
When I tell people about this pie, noone believes me. But it is true, it tastes just like apple pie! I actually thought it was better than apple pie. THanks for such a great use for zucchini!
AWESOME!! Fooled my husband . . . he couldn't believe it wasn't apples!!! I used 1/2 Splenda instead of all sugar. What a great, healthy dessert. I'll be fixing this a log and fooling as many people as I can. :)