Recipe by glitter
Wonderful appetizer and can even be used as a side dish to your favorite meal. A good way to use up all those zucchini in the garden when the summer get underway! Got this from a neighborhood cookbook.
Top Review by GibbyLou
From July 25, 2013: I used 1/4 c butter and only sauteed zucchini and onions. The spices I mixed into the cheese/egg mixture. Once the vegetable mixture was cooked I just dumped it into the egg/cheese mixture. I baked the empty pie crust for 10 minutes while cooking the vegetables. This was delicious and I served it for dinner. Thanks for sharing!
- 4 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons dry basil or 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese (optional)
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the ingredients in a pan, except the egg and cheese.
- Sauté the ingredients approximately 10 minute.
- until tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Do not let zucchini become too soft.
- Beat the eggs and mix with the Mozzarella cheese, Romano cheese, and zucchini mixture.
- Spread in the shell and sprinkle with some Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven 350°F for about 30 minutes until cooked.
- Serve warm or cooled.
- Slightly warm is best.