Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From: "Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East & North Africa" by Habeeb Salloum. Palestine and Jordan.
- 1 lb zucchini
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped to garnish
- Bake zucchini in oven until soft; then peel and mash. (Sorry, no temperature or time listed).
- Add remaining ingredients except parsley and mix thoroughly.
- Place on a serving platter and chill for at least one hour.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
this is the third time I've made this dip and will be preparing it for our Christmas dinner appetizer - great recipe!
I liked this dip, and found the proportion of ingredients to be just right. I roasted the zucchini for an hour at about 375 degrees F, which I think might've been a little bit too long, or a little bit too hot - not sure which, but it turned out ok, just a little brown on the bottom. Next time I make it I might not bother peeling the zucchini, as a little color would be nice. I think I might puree the zuch in a blender or food processor, as the dip looked a little stringy, which might put some people off (not me though, I thought it looked and tasted yummy!) I added parsley to the dip as well as using it for a garnish, again, for color. Thanks Engrossed, for posting this recipe. I'll definitely make it again.