Recipe by broc.seib
I love the flavors in this dish, and it is very quick and easy to make. It makes a good side dish, or can stand on its own. It is quite healthful as well, suitable for a diabetic diet, or vegetarian diet. Search online for 'quinoa', and you will learn its nutritional benefits if you have not already discovered them.
Top Review by Cookin4GoodLookin
I wondered how quina and sauteed squash and onion, together, could make a 5 star side dish, and unfortunately I'm still left wondering! There's nothing spectacular in the pairing of these ingredients -- it tastes just as you'd imagine quinoa and squash to taste like.
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon butter (or you may substitute some canola oil)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onion. Peel zucchini. Quarter the zucchini and squash lengthwise, then slice at approx 1 inch intervals to obtain somewhat large chunks. The sizes for the zucchini and squash should be big enough to survive some heat without getting flimsy. We also want them to physically be the star of our dish. The onion has a supporting role in flavor, and should be small enough to blend into the background.
- Dissolve the chicken bullion into the 1 1/2 cup of water.
- In a large pan over medium to high heat, begin to sautee the onion, zucchini, and squash using the butter (or oil). When the zucchini and squash just begin to soften, add freshly cracked pepper and salt. Continue cooking for one minute.
- Add the water/bullion. Add the quinoa. Mix uniformly. Cover pan with a lid. Let the liquid just come to boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes, covered and unstirred. Expect all the moisture to be absorbed by the quinoa when it is done. (Quinoa will cook like rice; one cup dry plus two cups wet yields 3 cups.). The squash and zucchini should still be sturdy, but cooked. Otherwise it was sauteed too long at the beginning.
- Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with freshly cut tomatoes, or cucumbers. I like to serve this dish with recipezaar recipe # 15580, Grilled Moroccan Chicken, as shown in the photo.