1/1 Photo of Zucchini and Yellow Squash With Quinoa
I love the flavors in this dish, and it is very quick and easy to make. It makes a good side dish, or can stand on its own. It is quite healthful as well, suitable for a diabetic diet, or vegetarian diet. Search online for 'quinoa', and you will learn its nutritional benefits if you have not already discovered them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dice onion. Peel zucchini. Quarter the zucchini and squash lengthwise, then slice at approx 1 inch intervals to obtain somewhat large chunks. The sizes for the zucchini and squash should be big enough to survive some heat without getting flimsy. We also want them to physically be the star of our dish. The onion has a supporting role in flavor, and should be small enough to blend into the background.
- 2Dissolve the chicken bullion into the 1 1/2 cup of water.
- 3In a large pan over medium to high heat, begin to sautee the onion, zucchini, and squash using the butter (or oil). When the zucchini and squash just begin to soften, add freshly cracked pepper and salt. Continue cooking for one minute.
- 4Add the water/bullion. Add the quinoa. Mix uniformly. Cover pan with a lid. Let the liquid just come to boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes, covered and unstirred. Expect all the moisture to be absorbed by the quinoa when it is done. (Quinoa will cook like rice; one cup dry plus two cups wet yields 3 cups.). The squash and zucchini should still be sturdy, but cooked. Otherwise it was sauteed too long at the beginning.
- 5Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with freshly cut tomatoes, or cucumbers. I like to serve this dish with recipezaar Grilled Moroccan Chicken, Grilled Moroccan Chicken, as shown in the photo.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini and Yellow Squash With Quinoa
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.0
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 253.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 9.1 g