Recipe by Mysterygirl
I saw Emeril do this on TV and it looked so pretty, then we tried it and it tasted as good as it looks. Wonderful taste, easy dish, great with a plain meat like grilled steak or chicken.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, ends trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yellow squash, ends trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled, stems and seeds removed, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, thyme, salt, crushed red pepper, and ground black pepper, and sauté until the onions are softened and caramelized, about 15 minutes In a small bowl combine the extra virgin olive oil, basil, and garlic, and steep 15 minutes.
- In a large ziploc baggie, toss a few of the zucchini and squash at a time with the flour to lightly coat.
- Rub 1 tablespoon of the basil oil on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Spread the onions in a layer on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Arrange a row of zucchini lengthwise on top of the onions, overlapping the edges slightly.
- Lay a thin row of red peppers next to the zucchini, then a row of squash.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Evenly drizzle the remaining basil oil over the vegetables.
- Top with an even coating of breadcrumbs, then cheese.
- Bake until light golden brown on top, about 40 minutes.