1 hr 25 mins
I saw Emeril do this on TV and it looked so pretty, then we tried it and it tasted as good as it looks. Wonderful taste, easy dish, great with a plain meat like grilled steak or chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs zucchini, ends trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 1/2 lbs yellow squash, ends trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled, stems and seeds removed, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the onions, thyme, salt, crushed red pepper, and ground black pepper, and sauté until the onions are softened and caramelized, about 15 minutes In a small bowl combine the extra virgin olive oil, basil, and garlic, and steep 15 minutes.
- 4In a large ziploc baggie, toss a few of the zucchini and squash at a time with the flour to lightly coat.
- 5Rub 1 tablespoon of the basil oil on the bottom of a baking dish.
- 6Spread the onions in a layer on the bottom of the baking dish.
- 7Arrange a row of zucchini lengthwise on top of the onions, overlapping the edges slightly.
- 8Lay a thin row of red peppers next to the zucchini, then a row of squash.
- 9Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- 10Evenly drizzle the remaining basil oil over the vegetables.
- 11Top with an even coating of breadcrumbs, then cheese.
- 12Bake until light golden brown on top, about 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini and Yellow Squash Tian
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.6
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 254.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers