1/2 Photos of Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup
1 hr 5 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This easy to prepare soup is the creation of sous-chef Carol McKenzie of the Sebanton restaurant in Longmont, Colorado. I found it in the RSVP section of a July 1987 issue of Bon Appetit. It seems like a perfect way to use up that surplus of squashes your summer garden produces!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 large crookneck yellow squash, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cups rich chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- 2Add onion,shallots and garlic and cook until onion is translucent,stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add flour and stir 3 minutes.
- 4Add zucchini and crookneck squash and cook until softened, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in stock,heavy cream, basil and oregano.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- 7Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
- 8Soup may be pureeed if a creamier texture is desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 582.1
- Calories from Fat 495
- Total Fat 55.0 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 163.0 mg
- Sodium 959.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
crookneck yellow squash