Recipe by southern_gal12000
This is one of my favorite ways to have zucchini with tomatoes. Every summer we have so many zucchini from our garden, so I'm looking for different ways to fix them. Bran flakes seems like a strange addition but cooked with butter it makes a tasty, crunchy topping for the sauteed zucchini and tomatoes.
- 3⁄4 cup bran flakes
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 medium zucchini, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut in wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush Bran Flakes cereal to crumbs.
- Melt the 2 teaspoons butter or margarine in a small saucepan. Stir in cereal crumbs. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until lightly browned. Watch carefully, so not to burn.
- Remove crumbs mixture from heat and stir in lemon zest. Set aside for topping.
- In large frying pan, cook zucchini in the 2 tbsp butter or margarine until almost tender, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir in lemon juice and tomato wedges. Continue cooking until tomatoes are heated.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into serving bowl and top with cereal mixture.
- Serve immediately.