1/2 Photos of Zucchini and Summer Squash Gratin With Parmesan and Fresh Thyme
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
this is AMAZING!!!! Have some nice crusty bread to sop up the luscious juices. I served this as a main dish--serves 4 as a main dish, six-eight as a side. Please be sure to let this set out before serving, as the recipe instructs--it makes it a much more cohesive gratin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE ONIONS
TO ASSEMBLE THE GRATIN
- 1 1/4 lbs ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3/4 lb zucchini or 3/4 lb other green summer squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices on the bias
- 3/4 lb summer squash or 3/4 lb golden zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices on the bias
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leave
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (I was out of this!!! So I just used freshly grated mozzarella.)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1To cook the onions: In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions and sauté, stirring frequently, until limp and golden brown, about 20 minute Reduce the heat to medium-low if they're browning too quickly.
- 3Add the garlic and sauté until soft and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 4Spread the onions and garlic evenly in the bottom of an oiled 2-quart shallow gratin dish (preferably oval).
- 5Let cool.
- 6To assemble the gratin: Heat the oven to 375°F.
- 7Put the tomato slices on a shallow plate to drain for a few minutes and then discard the collected juices.
- 8In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini and squash slices with 1-1/2 Tbsp of the olive oil, 2 Tbsp of the thyme, and 1/2 teaspoons of the salt.
- 9Reserve half of the cheese for the top of the gratin.
- 10Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of the thyme over the onions in the gratin.
- 11Starting at one end of the baking dish, lay a row of slightly overlapping tomato slices across the width of the dish and sprinkle with a little of the cheese.
- 12Next, lay a row of zucchini, overlapping the tomatoes by two-thirds, and sprinkle with cheese.
- 13Repeat with a row of squash, and then repeat rows, sprinkling each with cheese, until the gratin is full.
- 14Season lightly with pepper and the remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
- 15Drizzle the remaining 1-1/2 Tbsp olive oil over all.
- 16Combine the reserved cheese with the remaining 1 Tbsp thyme and sprinkle this over the whole gratin.
- 17Cook until well-browned all over and the juices have bubbled for a while and reduced considerably, 65 to 70 minutes.
- 18Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini and Summer Squash Gratin With Parmesan and Fresh Thyme
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 633.8
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 18.0 mg
- Sodium 1050.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 46.4 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 30.1 g