Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great summertime casserole using yellow squash and zucchini. But if the little zucchini buggers are taking over your house, it's o.k. to use all zucchini in this recipe! :)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced
- 1 lb yellow squash, sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 (7 ounce) cansliced button mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) package herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish or casserole and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter; add onions and cook until tender; add zucchini and yellow squash and cook, stirring until just tender; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the condensed soup, sour cream, and mushrooms, mixing well.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter with the stuffing mix; pour half the stuffing mix into the baking dish.
- Layer the squash mixture over the stuffing mix.
- Cover with the remaining stuffing mix.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and casserole is bubbly.
This was great!! There was an omission of how much onion but all good cooks can wing it
One word, YUMMY! This is the best ever! I forgot to salt and pepper but it was still awesome. I could have eaten all of it but after my weightless surgery, I could only eat a small serving. I didn't change the recipe because it is perfect as is!
Even the non-veggie eating son loved this. I only had yellow squash and no mushrooms. Steamed for few minutes instead of cooking them up with butter. I also used fat free soup mix and low fat sour cream. Mixed everything together and threw in the pan. Will be using this recipe again.