Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These fritters are awesome. Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse from the Essence of Emeril. Use Miss Annie's Emeril's Creole Seasoning (or Bayou Blast).
- 1⁄2 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon spice essence or 1⁄2 teaspoon creole seasoning, plus more for dusting fritters
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cayenne
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 lb fresh zucchini (using the small holes on a box grater)
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Season the shrimp lightly with the Essence and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until the shrimp turn pink, 2-3 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a large pot or deep-fryer, heat the oil to 360°F.
- In a large bowl, make the batter by whisking the eggs, milk, baking powder, salt and cayenne.
- Add the flour 1/4 of a cup at a time, beating and incorporating until all is used and the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Add the shrimp mixture and grated zucchini to the batter and fold to mix.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon measuring 1-1/2 tablespoons, drop the batter into the hot oil.
- When the fritters pop to the surface, roll them around with a slotted spoon in the oil to brown them on all side, about 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and season with additional Essence.
- Serve hot.