Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Always looking for new zucchini ideas and my kids like Italian sweet (mild) sausages. I add 1 box of cooked penne and split the portions into 2 aluminum containers and froze them. I will defrost it and reheat it in the oven. When it is warmed through, add cheese on top then until melted. This recipe as described makes 2 "dinners" for about 5. You can serve it all at once for about 10.
- 3 lbs Italian sausage, whatever you kind you like, about 14-16 large sausages
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges and separated
- 6 -8 large zucchini, cut into coins
- 2 (1 lb) jars tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 (1 lb) box penne
- Fry the sausages in a large skillet until lightly browned. Remove the sausages and set aside, leaving about 2 tablespoons of the grease in the pan.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta; drain; set aside.
- Fry the zucchini and onion in the pan grease until slightly tender. Add remaining ingredients, except the cheese. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, covered, stirring a bit.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and vegetables and blend.
- Place the mixture in a large baking dish and put in the sausages; or divide the mixture into 2 baking dishes for 2 separate dinners with half the amount of sausages in each.
- If you want to freeze for future use, do so now; add the cheese when you reheat.
- If making to eat now, add the cheese to the top and bake in 350 degree F. oven until cheese melts.