This is the first zucchini recipe I ever tasted and it is still my absolute favorite after all of these years. Thanks Mom for discovering it.
- Cook zucchini in boiling, salted water, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Saute beef, onions, garlic and seasonings until onions are transparent.
- Stir in rice and tomato sauce.
- Blend cottage cheese and egg in separate bowl.
- Arrange 1/2 zucchini slices in a buttered casserole.
- Spoon meat-rice mixture, then spread with cottage cheese mixture.
- Top with remaining zucchini slices.
- Sprinkle on cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Tastes pretty good, but the prep time is really underestimated. Figure the full 50 minutes to get all of the slicing, chopping, browning & cooking done; then yes, about 10 minutes to assemble it. Also, 25 minutes isn't really long enough for baking, given the bulk of it and the fact that you need to be sure that the egg mixture cooks thoroughly. I baked it for 35 minutes, and it could have used 10 more to have the egg mixture really set. As to the ingredient measurements, I assumed that 1 qt. of zucchini was about 4 cups; to balance the amounts of the other ingredients, I wound up using about 5 cups.
This was very tastey. and was easy to make.
This was very easy and tasty, and I can definitely see how it would make a great OAMC dish. I did make a few alterations: I steamed my zucchini in the microwave for a few moments to save time, I used ground turkey, and I was very generous with the garlic. Since the spices invoked an Italian flavor I used mozzarella cheese, which tasted great. Thanks for posting a great way to use the summer bounty of zucchini!