Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Yummy low cal way to use up summer zucchini, also good with a combination of yellow sqash. Recipe originally out of Cooking Light Magazine
- 8 cups sliced zucchini (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; partially mash with a potato masher.
- Combine zucchini mixture, rice, cheddar cheese, sour cream, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and eggs in a bowl; stir gently.
- Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Preheat broiler. Broil 1 minute or until lightly browned.
Very yummy dish! I used only 4 cups of zucchini and chopped it up in the food processer with the onion. Other than that made as written. With the leftovers we cubed some cooked chicken and mixed it in. Thanks Azrt.
Very tasty, made it with veggie broth and a mix of yellow squash/zucchini.