Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
An interesting salad recipe taken from the 1995 cookbook Greek Cooking.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, very small
- 1 red bell pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- Cut both ends off each small zucchini, then core, seed & thinly slice the red bell pepper.
- Place zucchini & red bell pepper in boiling salted water & cook for 2 minutes, then drain & arrange on serving plate.
- Zest the lemon into long, thin strips/curls (The original recipe calls for blanching the zest for 2 minutes, but I don't.), then juice the lemon.
- Mix oil, lemon juice, chopped basil, salt, pepper & sugar.
- Pour over vegetables while they are still warm, then sprinkle with lemon zest & serve.
Not a favorite for us. I reduced both the lemon and the olive oil, and there was still plenty of juice. And it was just a bit too tangy for us.
Love this delicious salad. I made it with a pound of zucchini, 4 tablespoons of oil and a little extra salt. My zester doesn't do long strips, but that didn't make any difference to the amazing flavour. Thanks for posting.
Bright color and taste. On this dish please be careful not to over cook the vegetables as you will lose that wonderful bright fresh taste. I cut the oil in half and did not use the pinch of sugar. Was a nice vegetable side that will go well with just about any thing. Thanks for the post.