Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In a welcome change from all of the heavy lasagna noodles, this recipe may even be a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies. Young and old(er)alike will enjoy this!
- 4 large zucchini
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced or 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cut zucchini into strips, 1/4-inch thick.
- Heat oil, add garlic and onion and cook until vegetables are tender but not browned.
- Add meat and brown, stirring to keep meat crumbly.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, wine, oregano, thyme, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer, uncovered for 1-1/2 hours.
- Place half of zucchini strips inside of an oiled, shallow casserole.
- Top with half of the mozzarella and half of the ricotta.
- Add half of the meat sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot.
Wife and I really enjoyed this dish tonight, but....the instructions on whether or not the zuchini should be sauted with the onions/garlic not real clear. I did not and the squash just did not cook enough for my taste in the baking process.