Recipe by Sharon123
A great way to use veggies fresh from the garden! With fennel basil, and fontina cheese, this is a taste treat!
Top Review by CookeeMonster
Oh. My. God. This is the most delicious pizza I have ever tasted. The seasonings were perfectly blended together...honestly, I'd be perfectly happy eating the veggie mixture and skipping the crust and cheese, it's just that good. The pizza was filling, yet I didn't feel weighed down by eating it (which allowed me to eat an extra slice)! My DH, who hates vegetables, told me I have to make this again! I used only 1 cup of fontina and 1.5 tsp. of salt. I can't wait to make this for company!
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 4 cups sliced zucchini, quarter lengthwise,then slice crosswise into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- pizza dough (homemade or storebought)
- 2 cups grated Fontina cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet saute the onions, garlic, and salt in the olive oil on medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the ground fennel and zucchini and cook until the zucchini starts to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the tomatoes and basil.
- Allow to cool somewhat and drain any excess liquid before spreading on the pizza crust.
- Then top with cheese, if you wish, and bake according to the pizza crust directions.