Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
In my search for my use of extra feta I found this recipe in a Cooking Light magazine, December 2002 issue
- 8 ounces penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled,crushed
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup crumbled basil and tomatoes feta cheese or 2⁄3 cup plain feta (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, omitting salt or fat.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the oregano, zucchini and crushed garlic; saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, rind, juice and pepper.
- Add the pasta and cheese; toss well.
- Serve immediately.
Made this as posted, other than omitting the lemon zest, and I used vegetable broth. I had some peppadews stuffed with feta, so I chopped a couple very finely and added them, plus I used beautiful soft feta that I get in a local market. A lovely way to use zucchini, which is not my favourite vegetable. DH and I very much enjoyed this recipe, and it is so easily prepared, (and I can see it would be very versatile), using ingredients always available in my kitchen, that I know I will be making this often, an ideal mid-week supper after a long day at work. Thank you Tish!
Love this recipe!! I'm going to pass this one around for sure, since it is quick, easy, and full of flavor. I also love that it is easily interchangeable...I can add shrimp if i have it, or switch out the zucchini for asparagus if that's whats on sale at the store that week. I agree with other reviewer about the lemon being a bit strong, so I just choose either the lemon juice or the zest instead of both.
A nice easy meal that all of the kids ate. There was a tad too much lemon for my liking. I used a vegetarian chicken flavoured broth which makes the fat component even lower.