Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Mmmmm....zucchini and cucumber marinated in an oil and balsamic vinegar dressing kicked up with olives, cherry tomatoes and dijon mustard! Adapted from Country Home magazine.
- 1 lb small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 large English cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into thin rings
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, cucumber, onion, olives, tomatoes, and parsley.
- For the dressing, whisk together oil, vinegars, mustard, salt, hot pepper sauce, garlic, and pepper. Add to zucchini mixture; toss to coat. Season to taste with more salt and pepper, if needed. Cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- Makes 5 servings.
The salad ingredients were arranged on a layer of baby arugula and I replaced the black olives with green (forgot to buy). The big difference was that I didn't stir the dressing in with the vegetables rather served it on the side for better presentation. Used vegetables from either the farmer's market or out CSA box. Lemon cucumbers would have been a good addition if I had had any on hand. Reviewed for Veg Tag/September. Thank you!
A perfect salad to make when you're drowning in cucumbers, zucchini and cherry tomatoes! It's cool and colorful. Makes a great side for grilled foods. I made this as written, using a yellow zucchini (for more color) and reduced the oil to 1/4 cup. I did add just a pinch of sugar. This will be a summertime "regular!" Thanx!
I've made this twice now and always get compliments on it. Very refreshing and a great way to use garden surplus!