Recipe by Oolala
From "Cooking Up a Storm, the Teen Survival Cookbook" by Sam Stern. This is a clever creation! *Variation: Hummus instead of cream cheese. Both sound good to me.
Top Review by PinkCherryBlossom
This makes one mean sandwich! I varied a bit and used garlic olive oil and left out the salt and herbs. This is at its best hot once cold the zucchinis go a little mushy. Tip The best slices are about 1/2 cm thick they go really brown and curring a few ribbons using a peeler makes crispy slices that add to the texture of the sandwich.
- 1 large zucchini
- olive oil
- sea salt
- cream cheese
- 1 loaf French bread or 1 loaf ciabatta
- parsley (optional) or cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat grill or frying pan to hot.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into thin strips. Brush one side of each strip with a little oil.
- Lay the zucchini slices, oil side down, on the hot surface. Cook for 2 minutes on each side until done. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise and spread cream cheese. Layer the zucchini on top. Add torn herbs if using. Top with other slice or leave open. Delicious.