Recipe by Tisme
This can be served on it's own or served as a side. You may need 3 zucchini depending on the size. But this is so easy to make, and a great way to use up zucchini that you can't give away for love nor money!.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
I made this because I had some cream and zucchini that had to be used up. I had to make a few changes. Only had 3/4 cup of cream, two eggs and a yolk, and a red onion rather than spring onions -- obviously I was in Sunday-night-clean-up mode. Also threw in a handful of must-use chopped coriander (cilantro). I baked it for a little longer than stated, but that was because I had four dishes in the oven. So now the verdict -- this is sensational. I expected a nice little side dish, but the flavours are perfect. It really is a special and easy-to-make dish that will become a staple in our house. But one comment. You say it makes four serves. At that rate, the calorie count is bound to scare people off. I baked this in a 7x11-inch glass casserole dish and could get 10 nice slices for a side dish. Perhaps you should change the yield. Thanks for posting such a great recipe.
- 2 -3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup corn kernel, canned & well drained
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup chives, chopped (parsley may be used)
- salt and pepper (to season)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a pan & add spring onions, fry until onions are just soft.
- Add the zucchini and cook over a low heat until zucchinis are just soft but not brown, stirring occasionally, add the crushed garlic just before zucchini is soft. Remove from heat.
- Mix the zucchini mix with the well-drained corn. Put the mixture into a buttered baking dish.
- Empty the cream into a seperate bowl and add the eggs; mix through really well. Add half the cheese and season to taste.
- Pour cream mixture over the zucchini mix that is in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and bake in a moderate oven for 30-35 minutes or until set.
- Garnish with shopped chives and slice and serve whilst hot.