Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is one of our favorite recipes that we've come across in a while. It's so simple and fun to make and tastes amazing too. I got it from a cookbook named, "easy vegetarian", which is a great vegetarian cookbook. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Be Sure To Squeeze The Grated Zucchini Well. Otherwise it will make the toast soggy.
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1 shallot, finely chopped (We typically just use 1/4 to 1/2 of a regular onion.)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices bread, toasted (You may need more than this, we typically do.)
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Put the grated zucchini in a clean, dry dishtowel and twist tightly, squeezing out all the excess liquid.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the cheese, shallot, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir thoroughly.
- Put the toasted bread on a baking tray, pile the zucchini mixture on top, and cook under a preheated broiler until golden brown. Serve hot.
- If you have leftovers, store in an air-tight container or zip-lock bag. Reheat at 350 degrees until warm.