Recipe by Alskann
This is one of my all-time favorite casseroles. I haven't posted it before because I assumed someone would have already posted it. I was looking for something else and came across a similar recipe, but not the same. So I decided to post this before it gets lost. Addendum: I hadn't made this in awhile until tonight. Because I am trying to lose weight I cooked the vegetables in a covered pan sprayed with PAM and omitted the butter. It turned out just fine. I also added some cubed cooked chicken to make this more of a complete dish. So that is another option with this very versatile casserole.
Top Review by Ceezie
This recipe was the inspiration for dinner tonight. Overall it was pretty good. I made a few changes - I cut the recipe in half and added 2 chicken breasts, cubed and seasoned. I browned the chicken in the pan, added the onions, carrots and zucchini. I then added 1 tbsp chicken bullion and some water, put a lid on the pan and let it steam the veggies. I dumped all this into the bread crumb mix and the mixed it with the soup (I omitted the butter). I added the cheese and put in a 11x7 baking dish (sprayed with pam). I liked the flavor however the kids didn't care for the sliced veggies. Next time I will cube them and maybe change up the cheese.
- 4 cups zucchini, sliced
- 3 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 4 cups herb stuffing cubes
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute onion, zucchini, carrots and mushrooms in 1 Tablespoon butter until just tender. Do not overcook.
- Mix together, in large bowl, zucchini, carrots, onion, mushrooms, and stuffing cubes.
- In separate bowl, mix together chicken soup, sour cream, milk and melted butter.
- Stir soup mixture into vegetables and mix well.
- Add 1 cup of the cheese.
- Place in a 9x13 casserole dish. (I usually spray it with PAM first.).
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
- **You can substitute cream of mushroom soup for the cream of chicken to make this vegetarian.