Recipe by Kiwi Kathy
An unusual soup that is delicious hot or cold. Smells just like basil pesto and tastes great. Found in a book called 'Love Soup'.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Kathy this soup is delicious, my picky dh & I really enjoyed it. The texture is smooth and silky, it has a velvet type thickness, not too heavy or light, simply perfect. The fresh flavor is outstanding. Best of all, its quick and easy to make, with excellent results. I garnished the soup with finely grated lemon rind and creamy feta cheese. They were the perfect addition, working beautifully with the soup. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, it has gone into my soup cookbook for future use.
- 900 g zucchini
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons arborio rice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, medium and chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh basil, coarsly chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, trim and slice the zuchinni and put into an ample soup pot with 3½ cups water, a tsp of salt and the rice. Bring the water to the boil, then lower heat and let it simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tblsps olive oil in a pan and add the chopped onions with a pinch of salt. Cook the onions slowly over medium - low heat, stirring often, until they are soft and caramel colour. About 30 minutes. When the onions are tender and sweet, add them to the soup pot.
- Grind plenty of black pepper into the soup, add the vegetable broth and the fresh basil leaves and simmer another 2 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Puree the soup, add a little more stock if the soup seems to thick. It should pour easily.
- Return soup to a clean pot and bring back to a simmer, then stir in 2 tblsps of lemon juice and 2 more tblsps olive oil. Taste the soup and add pinches of salt and lemon juice until the balance is just right.
- To serve, pour into a bowl, top with a spoonful of creamy feta or lemon zest. Enjoy.