Recipe by Leggy Peggy
This is from my neighbour and good friend, Ronnie, who is mother to five great kids. They all love this concoction and so do we. It serves 6-7 unless it is put in front of our former French exchange student, Emma. In that case, it serves one.
Top Review by Daisy P.
I have been searching for a similar recipe. Frankly, this one is much, much better than the one I used to make when my boys were still living at home. My husband said this recipe was very satisfying, hit the spot. Next time I make this I will make just a couple of small changes. (Hello...it's zucchini season, we will have this a lot!) I will precook the bacon (who doesn't love bacon right?) I will add diced tomato/marinara first then add the zucchini mix (my previous recipe that I lost started that way) and I top the casserole with shredded Parmesan (The really good stuff) about 10 minutes before it's done. Really really good, thanks.
- 12 ounces zucchini, shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 6 -8 ounces lean bacon, in 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 eggs, slightly beaten with black pepper (see next item)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Before you start, you need to know that, you can speed up the preparation time if you use a food processor to grate the cheese and zucchini, and chop the onion.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients -- in the order listed. Mix well after each addition.
- Put everything in an 11" x 7" pan. A 9" x 13" pan works, too.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Check the bottom. It sometimes browns faster.