Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from my neighbour and good friend, Ronnie, who is mother to five great kids. They all love this concoction and so do we. It serves 6-7 unless it is put in front of our former French exchange student, Emma. In that case, it serves one.
- 12 ounces zucchini, shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 6 -8 ounces lean bacon, in 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 eggs, slightly beaten with black pepper (see next item)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Before you start, you need to know that, you can speed up the preparation time if you use a food processor to grate the cheese and zucchini, and chop the onion.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients -- in the order listed. Mix well after each addition.
- Put everything in an 11" x 7" pan. A 9" x 13" pan works, too.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Check the bottom. It sometimes browns faster.
I have been searching for a similar recipe. Frankly, this one is much, much better than the one I used to make when my boys were still living at home. My husband said this recipe was very satisfying, hit the spot. Next time I make this I will make just a couple of small changes. (Hello...it's zucchini season, we will have this a lot!) I will precook the bacon (who doesn't love bacon right?) I will add diced tomato/marinara first then add the zucchini mix (my previous recipe that I lost started that way) and I top the casserole with shredded Parmesan (The really good stuff) about 10 minutes before it's done. Really really good, thanks.
A great way to use up you overload of zucchini.
Except for leaving the zucchini to drain for a whil after grating, I followed the recipe exactly.
This is really a crustless quiche and so easy to make and so delicious to eat.
Except for DH who hates zucchini to the max, everyone loved it.
Thanks Peg for another wonderful way to use zucchini.
Excellent and a great way to use the Zucchini from the garden. I made this as directed but slightly cooked the bacon in the microwave for 3 minutes before adding to the mix. I'll be serving this at my niece's wedding shower brunch next weekend. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT #6 - Zee Zesties 2010 :)