Recipe by Sue Lau
Makes a great side dish for other entrees or vegetarian meals.
Top Review by cpenner
This was a WONDERFUL side dish! I really liked the flavour. I made it without the pine nuts and cardamom, and used cooking spray instead of oil, but it still turned out great. I used a Granny Smith apple (unpeeled), but next time I think I'll use a red-skinned apple to give a colour contrast with the green-skinned zucchini. Great recipe, I will definitely be making this again and again!
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup apple juice
- 3⁄4 cup bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, bring water and apple juice to a boil.
- Add bulgur and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Lightly toast pine nuts in a dry skillet; remove from skillet and set aside to cool.
- Saute apple and zucchini in oil until soft; stir in salt, cardamom, cinnamon, cooked bulgur, and pine nuts.