Recipe by Lumberjackie
One of my favourite ways of eating zucchini!
Top Review by swarna_rnp
Baked in the weekend. Came out very well..Tasted better than expected. Every one in the family liked it :-) I had to half the recipe and I substituted Ground Hazelnuts in place of Almonds just because I needed to use up the Hazelnuts.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups finely grated peeled zucchini
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Grease and flour a 10-inch (3 L) tube pan. (I often use a bunt pan / ring mould instead).
- Sift together: the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer until thick and light-coloured. Gradually add the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the oil and almond extract. Blend in the dry ingredients, mixing until smooth. Stir in the zucchini and ground almonds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in a 350 F (180 C) oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool it completely on a rack.
- For the glaze, combine the icing sugar, milk, and almond extract together in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Spread over the top of the cooled cake, letting the icing run down the sides. Sprinkle the sliced almonds overtop.