Recipe by Pietro
This is a variation on the famous Parmigiana di Melanzane. This is an easy dish with a delightful taste. Try it!
- 750 g zucchini
- fresh ground black pepper
- plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- 250 g mozzarella cheese
- 4 tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- 30 g grated parmesan cheese
- 60 g fresh breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Thinly slice zucchini lengthwise, place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let stand for 1 hour.
- Rinse the zucchini and drain on paper towel.
- Heat oil, dust the zucchini with flour and fry in batches until golden and tender. Drain on paper towel.
- Cut the garlic in half and rub the insides of a shallow,oiled gratin dish with the cut garlic. Discard garlic.
- Make layers of zucchini strips, sliced tomato, strewn with torn basil leaves and mozzarella. Lightly season each layer.
- Finish with a layer of tomato and basil leaves.
- Mix parmesan and breadcrumbs together and spread evenly over the top.
- Bake in a 190°C oven for 25 minutes or until the top is golden and crisp.
- Serve hot.