Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was looking for a different way to cook zucchini besides the usual casserole, bread or cake. I found this recipe in a Better Homes & Gardens magazine. Prep time includes letting zucchini drain after cutting.
- 5 large zucchini, about 2 1/2 lbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half or 3⁄4 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper
- ground nutmeg
- finely shredded parmesan cheese
- Cut zucchini in half crosswise, then cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch wide strips to resemble fettucine noodles.
- (You should have about 8 cups when you're finished.) Toss the zucchini with salt in a large colander.
- Allow zucchini to drain for 1 hour.
- Rinse, then pat zucchini dry.
- In a large skillet, cook the zucchini and minced garlic in hot olive oil over medium-high heat for 2-4 minutes or until crisp- tender.
- Transfer the cooked zucchini to a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat the cream cheese and half-and-half over medium-low heat until smooth.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Add the zucchini to sauce in skillet; heat through.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with pepper, nutmeg and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Everyone in my house enjoyed this dish. I found that 1 1/2 good-sized zucchini were enough for what I needed. 5 large would have been way too much. It's hard to know what a large zucchini is when some can grow so very big. To cut down on calories, I changed this recipe by using low-fat cream cheese and fat-free half and half. It still made a nice creamy sauce. Be sure to drain the zuccini before adding it to the sauce. Next time, I will give it a little more of a punch by using some Tony's seasoning instead of the salt. I'll also cut the zucchini a little smaller and add a few low-fat goodies to it--mushrooms, onions, and/or roasted red peppers. This is a great dish. Thanks for a great recipe! I'll be making it again.
I won the BHG recipe contest with this recipe! It is great to see that so many folks like it. I thought it up while on the Aktins diet and craving Fettucini Alfredo! Now I'm craving this!
I halved this recipe for the four of us. This was easy to put together and very good.