Recipe by tigerduck
Marinated Zucchini belong to Italian's antipasti. They are great served with a choice of the following: olives, fresh or sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella, parmesan or other Italian cheese, parma ham and of course crusty bread. They need to be marinated for at least 2 hours.
- 600 g zucchini
- olive oil (for frying)
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 150 ml white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut zucchinis lengthwise into 5mm (1/5 inch) thick slices.
- Heat plenty of olive oil in a griddle pan and fry the zucchini in a single layer on both sides. Put fried ones aside.
- Pound salt and chopped garlic with your pestle and mortar. If you don't have that, use a small bowl and the bottom side of a spoon.
- In a saucepan, heat ca 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic-salt mixture and fry it for ca 1 minute.
- Add white wine and bay leaves and bring to a bowl.
- Add 1 layer of fried zucchini into container. Sprinkle with some oregano leaves and pour some of the hot wine mixture over it. Cover with another layer of zucchini, sprinkle it with oregano and pour over some of the liquid. Repeat this process until all ingredients are used.
- Cover with a lid or foil and marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge. Serve at room temperature together with ingredients mentioned in the introduction or as a side dish with a fried or barbecued piece of meat.