Recipe by Kathy228
Everyone will enjoy this. Especially cheese lovers. I use a full cup of cheddar, 1/2 cup swiss and provolone or mozzarella for the rest. Any combination will do. I cobbled this recipe together from several that I enjoyed.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup yellow squash, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, coarse chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease the bottom and up one inch, a deep dish, 9" pan. Evenly sprinkle on the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in 350 oven for 12 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove from oven.
- While hot, sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan if desired. Set aside.
- In a large pan, sautee the onions in the butter until soft.
- Add the squash and red peppers.
- Add all the sesonings.
- Simmer til squash are just slightly tender. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, with a fork beat the eggs with the flour then combine the cheeses and eggs mixing together well.
- Pour the egg-cheese mixture into the pan with the zucchini and gently combine.
- Spoon the filling into the prepared pan, sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a test knife comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let set for 15-20 minutes before cutting.