Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Molly Zatzen's Moosewood Cookbook. One of my favorite vegatarian recipes. Even my zucchini hating husband will eat this. Enjoy.
- 4 medium zucchini or 1 large zucchini
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups minced onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, minced (or more)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice, anykind
- 1 1⁄2 cups minced almonds or 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, lightly toasted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- black pepper
- 3 -5 pinches of freshly picked herbs (any combination of parsley, basil, dill, thyme, savory, marjoram, sage, etc.)
- 1 cup packed cheddar cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 3 -5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides, leaving a canoe, with an 1/4 inch shell.
- Mince the insides and set everything aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized skillet, add the onion and salt and saute over medium heat until soft (5-8 minutes).
- Add the minced zucchini innards and mushrooms, turn up the heat and cook about 8 minutes, letting the liquid evaporate.
- Stir in the garlic, Remove from heat.
- Stir in the rice, nuts, and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with black pepper, cayenne, and herbs of your choice.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Fill the zucchini shells with filling, top with cheese, and bake for 30-40 minutes or until heated through.
we really enjoyed this dish. my kids were very impressed with the way it looked and tasted. and the nice blend of flavors. i used swiss cheese and feta cheese and served a greek beef sauce on the side, enjoyed by all! i will be making this often