Recipe by Kimke
From Molly Zatzen's Moosewood Cookbook. One of my favorite vegatarian recipes. Even my zucchini hating husband will eat this. Enjoy.
Top Review by chia
we really enjoyed this dish. my kids were very impressed with the way it looked and tasted. and the nice blend of flavors. i used swiss cheese and feta cheese and served a greek beef sauce on the side, enjoyed by all! i will be making this often
- 4 medium zucchini or 1 large zucchini
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups minced onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, minced (or more)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice, anykind
- 1 1⁄2 cups minced almonds or 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, lightly toasted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- black pepper
- 3 -5 pinches of freshly picked herbs (any combination of parsley, basil, dill, thyme, savory, marjoram, sage, etc.)
- 1 cup packed cheddar cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 3 -5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides, leaving a canoe, with an 1/4 inch shell.
- Mince the insides and set everything aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized skillet, add the onion and salt and saute over medium heat until soft (5-8 minutes).
- Add the minced zucchini innards and mushrooms, turn up the heat and cook about 8 minutes, letting the liquid evaporate.
- Stir in the garlic, Remove from heat.
- Stir in the rice, nuts, and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with black pepper, cayenne, and herbs of your choice.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Fill the zucchini shells with filling, top with cheese, and bake for 30-40 minutes or until heated through.