Recipe by Galley Wench
I've seen several recipes on the internet trying to duplicate Z'tejas Cornbread, but I believe this is it! The recipe was posted online in the Texas Monthly. The texture of this cornbread is moist and heavy so for best results allow to cool before cutting.
Top Review by IRuth
Almost every time that I go to South Coast Plaza here in California, I stop and have lunch at Z'tejas just to have their corn bread. I made it tonight and had to give it the 5 stars because it is like the one in the restaurant but a little bit more moisture. I didn't have to put any butter.
The only problem...you cannot stop eating, so good right out of the oven. Thank you for posting this reccipe.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup creamed corn
- 1⁄4 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl, add dry ingredients.
- Lightly grease a 10- or 12-inch cast iron skillet. Pour in batter. (I preheat the skillet while I'm making the batter.).
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.