Recipe by Mark Kovach
English translation, GREASY BREAD. This recipe is very popular in my extended family and we usually have it during our annual reunion. I don't suggest this as a regular diet staple or it would probably result in early heart disease lol. This is a picnic item usually served prior to a meal as an appetizer.
- 12 pieces sour dough rye bread (or any other hearty, heavy rye sliced thick)
- sliced sweet onion
- sliced sweet pepper
- 3 pieces thick slab bacon, with rind on (cut in 4-inch x 4-inch pieces)
Directions See How It's Made
- also needed:open fire or charcoal fire at it's hottest and three 1/2-inch thick sticks about 3 feet long and sharpened on one end.
- place onion and pepper on bread slices and sprinkle with paprika.
- score bacon rind in cross hatch pattern and place on stick.
- roast bacon over open fire until grease runs and press grease into veggies and bread.
- repeat until bread is well coated with grease,
- serve and enjoy.