Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
These are simple and delicious. My kids can't stop eating them! I sometimes use canned apple pie filling and a little sugar and maybe some ground cinnamon to pastry. Yum!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 apples
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Peel and dice apples. Add sugar and cinnamon. Cook in a saucepan on low heat. Cook until soft, then mash with a fork to form a thick applesauce.
- Sift flour and salt together. Cut in the shortening. Add water and mix with a fork.
- Roll out to about 1/8-inch thickness on a floured board. Cut with a large round cookie cutter (4-inches in diameter.).
- In each round, place 1 heaping tablespoons fruit. Moisten edges with cold water, fold and press edge with a fork.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on med-high heat. Fry pies, a few at a time, 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
We loved these pies! What a great dessert they were served warm with vanilla ice cream. My grandchildren were in 7th heaven eating these and asked me to make them again, so you might say they were darn good!
What a great idea it was to make these! We loved them! I had the first one hot out of the oven in a bowl with some vanilla ice cream and then I had another one later on cold out of the fridge. No matter how you have them they are awesome! DH let me know I can make these for him any day of the week :)