1/1 Photo of Zrazy Zawijane (polish Beef Roulade in Sour Cream Sauce)
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Pronounced ZRAH-zih zah-vee-YAH-neh. Also called bitki (BEET-kee). A favorite dish of the Old Polish nobility that has remained popular to this day throughout Eastern Europe; quite similar to rouladen served just across the border in Germany. Zrazy is a generic name for meat rolled around any of a variety of fillings, browned and braised until tender. This recipe is for thin slices of steak spread with mustard and filled with a bread, onion, and mushroom stuffing. Traditionally served with boiled rice or kasza (buckwheat) topped with extra sauce, but also great with potato dumplings and steamed asparagus.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup soft breadcrumbs, from home-style bread, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs top round steaks, trimmed of fat & pounded to 1/4 " thick
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a heavy skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- 3Saute the mushrooms and onions until the liquid in the pan starts to evaporate (8-10 minutes) (Do NOT let the mushrooms brown).
- 4Stir in the bread crumbs and half of the salt and pepper; remove from heat.
- 5Cut the steak into 8 rectangular pieces 3-4" wide by 6-8" long, sprinkle both sides evenly with remaining salt and pepper.
- 6Spread a thin layer of the mustard on each slice of beef, and place 1/8 of the stuffing on the shorter end of each piece of steak.
- 7Roll the steaks into cyclinders, enclosing the stuffing, and tuck in the sides; secure each end with kitchen cord.
- 8Roll the zrazy in flour and vigorously shake off any excess.
- 9In a heavy skillet, melt remaining butter with oil over high heat, and brown the rolls, turning them often so they evenly turn a rich golden brown without burning (about 15 minutes).
- 10As they brown transfer them to a casserole dish large enough to hold them all in a single layer.
- 11Pour off all but a thin layer of fat from the skillet and replace it with the beef stock.
- 12Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly (scraping the bottom and sides of the pan).
- 13Pour the broth over the rolls and cover tightly.
- 14Braise in the oven until the meat is so tender that it gives no resistance when pierced with the tip of a skewer or knife (45 minutes).
- 15Remove the zrazy from the casserole dish, cut the cord off and cover with tin foil to keep the rolls warm while you make the sauce.
- 16Skim off and discard as much of the fat as possible from the liquid remaining in the casserole dish.
- 17Return to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- 18Remove from heat, and mix in the sour cream.
- 19Season to taste and serve over zrazy.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zrazy Zawijane (polish Beef Roulade in Sour Cream Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (656 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 788.8
- Calories from Fat 461
- Total Fat 51.2 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 214.6 mg
- Sodium 1029.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 59.2 g