Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Overnight soaking not included in preparation time. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1 lb dried salt cod fish
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pint milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup rusk, finely crumbled
- Soak fish in cold water overnight in several changes of water.
- Drain, cover with cold water and heat slowly to boiling.
- Drain again and cover with cold water.
- Heat to boiling point and simmer until tender.
- Drain fish and separate into flakes.
- Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold milk; add remaining milk along with remaining ingredients, including fish.
- Cook until thickened.
- Place in a buttered casserole and bake at 350F until golden.