Prep2 hrs 10 mins
Zopf is a soft milk bread and is a family tradition with us; it is usually served with butter and jam, although can also be served with soft cheeses and cold meats. It is a breakfast or dinner bread. If you need to know how to do the plait, let me know and I'll send you a diagram! Based on a Betty Bossi recipe.
- Mix together all ingredients except egg yolk to make a soft dough. Knead 10 minutes or so.
- Divide into 4 and make long sausages with the dough.
- Form the sausages into 2 square crosses.
- Plait each cross, using a 4 strand plait, so that you end up with two loaves of plaited bread.
- Put in the fridge until ready to bake- overnight, for example.
- Paint the loaves with a little of the egg yolk.
- Place a water bath under the oven shelf. Bake in the bottom half of a 220 degree Celcius preheated oven for 10 minutes, then turn the temperature down and bake at 200 degrees for 40 minutes.