1/7 Photos of Zopf or Braided Bread
This is a delicious traditional Swiss homemade Sunday bread
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl mix the warm milk, sugar, salt, butter, egg yolk and 200 g flour.
- 2Mix with the hook for 1 minute.
- 3Add the yeast and mix for 2 minutes again.
- 4Add the remaining 300 g flour and work with the hook.
- 5When the dough has pulled together and becomes smooth and elastic (after about 5 minutes) you can form the braid.
- 6Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces and roll each piece into a 60 cm long cylinder (or 3 pieces of 30 cm). Braid the pieces together and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. This is the method that I use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcPnB0Sgc-Q.
- 7In a small bowl, mix egg white and water and brush the bread with this mixture.
- 8Let the dough rest after forming for 90 minutes until it doubles in size.
- 9Bake in the preheated oven at 180°C for 20 to 25 minutes (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven), until golden.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zopf or Braided Bread
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.2
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 60.0 mg
- Sodium 740.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 9.2 g