1/1 Photo of Zopf - Great Tasting Swiss Bread!
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Chef #1157327's Note:
This is a great bread recipe that was shown to me by a friend whose family is Swiss. This bread is great with butter or jam and tastes amazing. Every time I make it my family eats two loaves within about an hour. Enjoy! Note: This is not a bread machine recipe.
My Private Note
Large L ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the flour into a bowl. If you are using a Kitchen Aid you can put it into that mixing bowl.
- 2Mix 2 teaspoons of salt with flour.
- 3Make an indentation into the middle of flour.
- 4Pour 1 dl milk into a cup (microwavable)
- 5Add 2 tsp sugar into the milk, stir well.
- 6Heat milk for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- 7Add 21 grams yeast into the milk and stir well.
- 8Pour yeast into the indentation in the flour.
- 9Let the yeast sit for 10 minutes.
- 10Cut butter into small pieces.
- 11Put pieces into a pan and melt on medium heat.
- 12Add 6 dl milk to the melted butter; make sure butter is lukewarm.
- 13Go back to your flour and yeast and now put the bowl into the mixer and mix on the lowest setting.
- 14Add the melted butter to the dough while mixing.
- 15Let mix for 10 minutes.
- 16Loosen the dough from the bowl and put a wet cloth over the dough. Make sure it is loose to allow room for rising.
- 17Let sit for one hour.
- 18Pre heat oven to 425(f).
- 19Separate dough into two pieces. Each piece will make a single loaf of bread.
- 20With one of the pieces, separate it into two sections and roll them out and a floured surface. You want to roll them so the middle is the thickest and the ends are slightly narrower.
- 21Fold dough --
- 22*start by putting one roll vertically and one on top of it horizontally.
- 23*fold top part down to bottom (left).
- 24*fold bottom part to top (right).
- 25*fold left part to right (top).
- 26*fold right part to left (bottom).
- 27*repeat- at end, join parts together.
- 28Separate an egg yolk from the egg white.
- 29Break the yolk and add a drop of half and half or heavy cream (optional).
- 30Use food brush to spread yolk on dough- avoid crevices.
- 31Put dough into oven with small bowl of water. Put dough on wax paper to prevent the bread from sticking.
- 32After 10 min., set temperature of oven down to 395(F) for 20 minute.
- 33Take out of oven. The bread is done.
- 34Let cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zopf - Great Tasting Swiss Bread!
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.9
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 35.8 mg
- Sodium 323.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 8.2 g