Recipe by kit in NO
I was inspired to make this by the Spinach Sauce for Pasta by Hey Jude. It makes a nice (lacto) vegetarian entree or side dish.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed partially dry
- 16 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- Cook pasta until al dente, drain and set aside.
- Melt butter over low to medium heat in a large heavy bottomed sauce pan, stove top casserole or dutch oven.
- Add onions, garlic, and nutmeg.
- Sautee until onions are translucent.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add spinach and heat through.
- Remove spinach mixture from heat and allow to cool.
- Place pasta in a large bowl toss with ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses.
- Add spinach mixture and combine.
- Place mixture in a greased caserole dish and pour cream evenly over the casserole.
- Place in oven and cook uncovered for 30-40 minutes.