Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Yummy! This vegetarian dish will make a great dinner with a side salad and some rolls. Use whatever kind of mushrooms you like and you can change the pasta out too and try macaroni or mostaccioli. You can add more veggies to taste if you like.Enjoy! Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.
- 3 tablespoons butter (or olive oil or a mix of both)
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms (white, baby bella, shitake or other)
- 2 leeks, quartered lengthwise, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk, warmed (I use rice milk)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Warm the butter in a saucepan. Add celery, mushrooms, leeks, and marjoram and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 more minute, then quickly whisk in the milk.
- Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season the sauce with 1 teaspoons salt, pepper(to taste) and nutmeg and mustard.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Lightly butter or oil a 3 quart baking dish. Cook the ziti in plenty of boiling water until barely done(usually 2 minutes less than called for on package). Drain in a colander, then rinse under cold water.
- Combine the pasta with the sauce and cheese, then pour it into the baking dish and cover with the bread crumbs.
- Bake until bubbling and browned on top, about 25-30 minutes.
this was a very nice casserole thank you made on stovetop to darn hot for oven lol