1/2 Photos of Ziti With Sharp Cheddar and Mushrooms
1 hr 10 mins
Yummy! This vegetarian dish will make a great dinner with a side salad and some rolls. Use whatever kind of mushrooms you like and you can change the pasta out too and try macaroni or mostaccioli. You can add more veggies to taste if you like.Enjoy! Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter (or olive oil or a mix of both)
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms (white, baby bella, shitake or other)
- 2 leeks, quartered lengthwise, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk, warmed (I use rice milk)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Warm the butter in a saucepan. Add celery, mushrooms, leeks, and marjoram and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in flour and cook 1 more minute, then quickly whisk in the milk.
- 3Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season the sauce with 1 teaspoons salt, pepper(to taste) and nutmeg and mustard.
- 4Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- 5Lightly butter or oil a 3 quart baking dish. Cook the ziti in plenty of boiling water until barely done(usually 2 minutes less than called for on package). Drain in a colander, then rinse under cold water.
- 6Combine the pasta with the sauce and cheese, then pour it into the baking dish and cover with the bread crumbs.
- 7Bake until bubbling and browned on top, about 25-30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ziti With Sharp Cheddar and Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 636.6
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 462.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 24.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: