Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Rachael Ray; this is her grandpa’s recipe.
Top Review by Karabea
This sauce was good, but it definitely needs some salt. It makes a lot of sauce (I halved the recipe and it made enough for at least 4 people). I think next time I would use half as much meat, as I like my pasta sauces a little saucier than this. I did really like the idea of adding the cannellini beans though.
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small white onion, minced (or grated)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 20 fresh basil leaves, roughly cut (or torn)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 lb ziti pasta, rigate cooked al dente
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep large skillet, break up the sausage and saute crumbles over med-high heat; transfer cooked sausage from pan to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Return pan to heat; decrease heat to med-low.
- Add in olive oil, garlic, and onion; stir/saute 5 minutes or until onion sweetens.
- Add in tomatoes, basil, and beans; heat through.
- Return sausage to sauce; taste and adjust seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain pasta; combine pasta with sauce; serve with plenty of parmesan cheese and bread.