Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nice meal made entirely on the stovetop. The kids liked it except that they thought the meat was a little spicy, so use less if cooking for the smalls. I use Bob Evans Italian sausage Instead of the Italian link sausage the recipe calls for. From Southern Living.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti pasta, I use whole wheat
- 2 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper (or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Cut sausage diagonally into 1/2" thick slices (just crumble and brown if using a roll of ground sausage). Cook in a large non stick skillet over med-high heat until browned; remove sausage and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Drain.
- Cook garlic and red pepper in oil in skillet, stirring constantly, until lightly browned; add tomatoes and cook until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Toss pasta and broccoli gently with sausage, tomato mixture, and cheese. Serve immediately.
Don't get me wrong this was good, but not exceptional. We made this last night. It was a good comfort meal and easy to prepare. We just were not impressed with it. The wife said she would make it again in a pinch but it will not be high on our list of repeats. Thanks for the recipe.
Made this last night for dinner. The flavors go together perfectly in this dish! We loved the crushed red pepper, as we like things spicy. My diced tomatoes were Hunts with garlic, basil and oregano. They worked well with the recipe.
this was SO YUMMY!! I really enjoyed it! It has a perfect amount of spice to it.. thanks finny's mom, i can't wat to try more of your dishes!