Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from Southern Living. I usually use a combination of medium and hot Italian sausage. Feel free to kick up the heat with more crushed red pepper. This works well with penne pasta also.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12 ounces ziti pasta or 12 ounces penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated romano cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook sausage in a large non-stick skillet over med-high heat until browned; remove sausage, and set aside. Wipe drippings from skillet with paper towels.
- Cook garlic and red pepper in oil in skillet, stirring constantly, until lightly browned; add tomatoes, and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Add sausage back to skillet mixture and keep warm.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Drain pasta, transfer to large serving bowl.
- Add tomato and sausage mixture to pasta in bowl, toss gently, sprinkle with cheese.
I made this last night and it was good....I added some onions and used frozen broccoli. My only suggestions would be to cook the pasta al dente and to be careful not to use too much of the red pepper.Thanks!
I made this for dinner tonight, and wow! It was so good! I love italian food, but it is usually so heavy. This was delicious, but didn't make me feel gross or overstuffed, even though I had a lot. :p Thanks for an awesome recipe!
Very good! To lower the fat and calories, I used turkey sausage, omitted the oil & only used a sprinkling of parmesan & it worked out great. The sauce reduces quite a bit but doesn't really get thick.