Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This comes from the Kosher Palette. I have not made it yet but it looks really good! This recipe can also be made as manicotti. Prepare 12 manicotti according to package directions. Stuff with mushroom mixture and top with Goat Cheese Sauce. Garnish with whole chives.
- 12 ounces portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 scallions, sliced into discs
- 16 ounces ziti pasta
- 6 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
Goat Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces fresh mild goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- fresh ground pepper
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Cut caps in half and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch slices; set aside.
- Heat 2 T butter and 2 T oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, 1/2 tsp salt, and sugar; saute 20 minutes. Add shallots; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and scallions; saute 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 T butter and 2 T oil in the skillet. Add mushrooms and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Saute 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender.
- Stir in reserved onion mixture. Cook over low heat until pasta and sauce are prepared.
- Cook ziti in 6 qts. boiling water and 1 T salt according to package directions until al dente; drain. Rinse pasta in cool water; drain.
- Toss ziti with mushroom mixture and place in a large serving dish. Top with Goat Cheese Sauce and garnish with chives.
- Goat Cheese Sauce directions: Pour cream into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until reduced by one-third. Remove from heat.
- Add goat cheese, stirring until smooth. Stir in chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This is amazing!!
This is really lovely, rich and very filling. I'm certain I ate less than a full serving and I was sooooo full! And I hadn't eaten all day so....! I can usually eat two servings of pasta in those large pasta bowls but, even though it was so good I wanted more, I barely finished the serving I had in a side salad bowl. Thanks for posting!