Recipe by P4
A quick, satisfying weeknight pasta dish.
Top Review by kadiprimo
Very good flavor, but I wish there were more sauce. Next time will double. Par-cook the pasta and finish in the sauce so it soaks up some of the flavor. Also agree with another reviewer that garlic would be welcome in this dish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced pancetta or 1⁄4 cup smoked bacon
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced onion
- 8 ounces thickly sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine or 1⁄4 cup marsala
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock or 1⁄3 cup vegetable stock (low or no-salt, please)
- 1⁄2 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces dried ziti pasta, cooked and drained
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- You will need a deep saute pan that can hold the sauce, and the pasta.
- Have all your ingredients ready to go before beginning to cook.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat and cook the pancetta and onions until the onions are softened.
- Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- When the mushrooms have cooked for about 2 minutes, add the thyme and toss.
- Let cook another minute, then add the Marsala to the pan and toss with the other ingredients.
- Let reduce about half (about 2-3 minutes), then add the chicken stock.
- Toss and let this reduce about half (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Add the peas, toss, then the cream, then let this mixture reduce slightly.
- Taste, adjust for pepper and salt.
- Add the pasta and 1/2 of the cheese to the pan and toss to combine everything thoroughly.
- Serve with the remaining cheese.